Smakk Talk

why just talk if you can talk smakk

Thursday, October 16, 2008

Gas Smakk
Once again I'm back on lovely I35 making that thrilling drive between Austin & Dallas. (No monsoon yet but the skies look menacing.) As normal, I make a pit stop at the halfway point of Waco, TX. Most memorable for the Branch Davidians and Baylor basketball killing, I have also found another highlight to this town - the cheapest gas in the US. now I haven't actually researched this finding but I filled up my rental today at $2.45 a gallon.
So why the cheap gas in Waco? Texas refineries closer to Houston but they have higher prices there. Smaller & larger populated cities around the area but they have higher prices also. They're definitely not bringing in more tobacco and alcohol tax from the Baptist students at Baylor compared to any other college town. So general economics would say there is more supply than demand. So when I add in the fact that I've never met anyone from Waco and no one is leaving town since gas is in excess, that leads to one of two conclusions:
1. Waco is the greatest place in the world
2. Waco is home to a bunch of backwood rednecks afraid to leave the area for fear of discovery of all their inbreeding
I'll go with Inbreds for $100 Alex...

2 Comments:

  • At 9:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Didn't you almost attend Waco for college sir?

     
  • At 1:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hmm...interesting statement coming from an Anonymous?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home