Smakk Talk

why just talk if you can talk smakk

Tuesday, January 21, 2003

Idol Smakk
As much as I would like to be cool and rag on American Idol, tonight's show was just hilarious and imposssible to stop watching. Obviously, the entire show is listening to this Simon bloke, who basically has this great and unique gimmick called speaking the truth. You suck, you maight not know it, but he'll fill you in. I guess my biggest gripe about the show is that once you get rid of all the really bad people, who cares about watching all these disco-night-at-the-bowling-alley-karaoke-contestants compete to be the next....uhhhh, whatever her name was that won the last one. And by the way, I love hearing over and over how this Kelly Crapston has the best selling single in the past 10 years. Who the hell is still buying singles?
But the show couldn't just do it's little deal and move on while ahead - no, we have to have the "Where are they now?" special. Do I really care about this. I mean, where the hell were they then? But I was happy to learn our new record holder Kelly and the Gumby with dreadlocks runner-up have a movie coming out. I as much as anyone like a good tearjerker and I'm telling you now that the thought of seeing this movie has me already crying. I didn't really pay attention to rest of the special, but I think one of the past finalists is that happy guy dancing in his underwear on the Gap commericial. (Obviously he's on Zoloft.)
So good luck to all you Idols in the making and you have my sympathy, especially to whoever wins and realizes their 15 minutes of fame was only about 3 minutes long and the future punchline in late night. On the bright side, you might get on the Surreal Life in a few years. So for my films on this topic I've got two categories:

Top 5 Films about Musicians:
5. La Bamba
4. Sid & Nancy
3. Pink Floyd The Wall
2. Almost Famous
1. Spinal Tap

Top 5 Resons Musicians should NOT make movies:
5. Evita - Madonna "I suck at movies"
4. Body of Evidence - Madonna "I really do suck at movies"
3. Who's That Girl - Madonna "Okay, I said I really do suck at movies"
2. Shanghai Surprise - Madonna "Now this one I blame on Sean"
1. Glitter - Mariah Carey "Madonna is my idol. By the way, have you seen my new boobs?"

see ya...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home